Co-operative Young Leaders Program
Ontario credit unions and co-ops give young people a chance to attend Co-operative Young Leader programs every summer, an experience unlike any other. This week-long initiative brings young people together from all across Ontario to learn about, and practice, communication and leadership through co‑operative activities. Since its inception in 1967 to its 46th year in 2013, more than 2800 young people have gone through Ontario CYL programs.
Head over to On Co-op's YouTube Channel to see a short video describing Ontario's CYL program in the words of our participants and facilitators, or check our frequently asked questions page (to the right under the "related pages" section) to learn more about becoming a participant.
2013 Online CYL Participant APPLICATIONS NOW BEING ACCEPTED
- The online application system for CYL 2013 opened February 18, 2013. Only online applications will be accepted, and all applications are subject to review and acceptance by On Co-op.
- CYL is presented in English only. Participants and facilitators must have a good understanding of English.
- Potential participants with disabilities or severe allergies are requested to contact On Co-op prior to applying for CYL and before they have confirmed sponsorship with their credit union or co-operative.
- CYL is an initiative of the Ontario Co-operative Association.
- Interesed in becoming a facilitator or sponsor? click the links to the right under "related pages" for more information and role-specific application forms.
Thanks to all the participants, sponsors, and facilitators who made 2012 such a great success! We're looking forward to an incredible 2013 CYL season!
- Program Overview
- The Three CYL Levels
- Program Fees
- Registration Process
- Session Information
CYL has three main goals:
- To develop leadership and communication skills and foster self-confidence
- To create stronger awareness of co-ops & credit unions and the co-operative principles
- To provide young people with a fantastic summer experience ... and for the rest of the year are provided with amazing personal and resume-building opportunities by their sponsors
CYL is a leadership development program for Ontario teens aged 14-18. This week-long program brings young people from all across Ontario together to learn, grow and have fun. Along the way, amazing things happen—a touch of magic you’ll only find at CYL.
CYLers develop new support networks and peer groups. They have the opportunity to learn more about themselves and their world. They discover new ideas and perspectives.
During the week at the CYL program, our teen leaders participate in a huge array of interactive activities. From team-building games, inspiring guest speakers and worry-free public speaking training, to canoeing, campfires, and running their own co-operative business, there's never a dull moment at the CYL summer program.
- A flexible curriculum that balances outdoor activities, participatory learning sessions and personal development opportunities
- Guest speakers, field trips and participant driven session to keep the program relevant, interesting and fun
- Discussions on hot topics that affect young people and their sponsoring co-ops
CYL graduates have benefited from:
- receiving international internships and scholarships
- becoming a trained facilitator
- presenting inspirational speeches
- becoming youth board members
- joining a network of amazing mentors
- securing a job in the co-operative sector!
CYL is organized into three sessions/levels:
CYL is your first step to awesome. CYLers who enrol in all three levels sequentially over three to four years, and who remain connected and engaged with their sponsoring organization will get the most out of the Program.
JUNIOR: For first time participants (14-15 yrs - must be 14 at start of your session)
Discover more about yourself and others. Learn how to become a leader, a co-operator and a team player. Take part in activities about co-op history and the principles of co-operation spur new ways of thinking.
INTERMEDIATE: For Junior graduates or 16–17 year olds participating for the first time
Take your leadership and communication skills to the next level. Explore co-operatives and the community.
SENIOR: For Intermediate graduates or 17–18 year olds participating for the first time
A challenging yet fun program that further develops team-building, facilitation and co-operation. Hone your communication and life-balance skills.
Each day of program is structured around specific goals combining recreation, learning opportunities and fun. Daily themes may include self-awareness, communication, team building, conflict resolution, decision making, leadership, and general co-operative and credit union knowledge.
And unlike many other summer youth leadership programs, participants have a say in what happens. As a group, the young leaders help decide on social activities, sports, and the rules and regulations of your stay. CYL sessions incorporate hands on activities, where participants get to DO as opposed to just watching or listening. It's eight days that will change lives!
CYL PROGRAM FEES
- The sponsoring Co-op or Credit Union will be invoiced $830 + HST for every participant it has sponsored that was accepted by On Co-op. As in previous years, that amount is made up of a sponsor fee and a participant fee. New this year, the sponsor collects the participant portion on its own, and the full amount is remitted directly to On Co-op by the sponsor.
- On Co-op strongly recommends that every sponsoring organization collect the participant portion of the CYL fee (generally $200) from each participant. The payment of this nominal amount is key to ensuring participation acceptance of the goals and responsibilities of attending CYL. As the conditions surrounding the participant portion of the fee vary with each sponsor, please contact your particular sponsor to find out their particular payment structure.
REFUNDS AND CHANGE FEES
All requests for cancellation, participant substitution or session changes must be made in writing to the On Co‐op Education Manager (email@example.com).
- Refunds 14 days or more prior to the start of the registered session: A $75 cancellation fee will be charged for participants who cancel their confirmed application anytime before two weeks from the start of the session they applied for. The sponsor will be refunded the full amount paid less $75 by On Co-op and will be responsible for returning any fees paid to it by the applicant.
- Refunds 13 days or less prior to the start of the registered session: If an application is cancelled less than two weeks from the start date of the session requested, there will be NO refund to the sponsor or participant from On Co-op.
- Change fee: A $25 fee will be charged to move a registered and confirmed participant from one session to another, AND ONLY IF SPACE ALLOWS. This fee is to be paid by the participant.
- Multiple Registration Fee: A $25 fee will be charged to a participant if they apply multiple times using the online application system.
Please follow these FOUR steps. The actual application link is found at Step 4.
2. CONTACT your sponsoring co-op or credit union and have them confirm your qualification to apply. Make sure they have also read this year's CYL brochure. The program has eveloved since 2012!
3. CLICK HERE to download the file that explains the information you must provide during the online application.
- IT IS EXTREMELY IMPORTANT THAT PARTICIPANTS GATHER ALL OF THE INFORMATION REQUIRED FOR THE ONLINE REGISTRATION QUESTIONS BEFORE YOU START TO APPLY ONLINE.
- If you do not answer all of the questions during your registration session, your application cannot be saved or processed. Your appplication will NOT be accepted and you will not have a spot 'reserved' for you while you gather the remaining information.
- Please do not attempt to register more than once. You cannot go back later and add information to your application - you must complete it in one online session. There will be a $25.00 charge for duplicate applications.
4. CLICK HERE TO REGISTER FOR THE CYL PROGRAM, after you have gathered all the required information
- Double check all of your information before completing the online application. There will be a $25.00 charge to switch a registered participant from one session to another - and only if there is available space.
- CYL sessions tend to fill up quickly so be sure to apply early. Vacancies in each session will be updated on a regular basis as the registration progesses throughout the Spring.
For more information, visit our FAQ page.
- All CYL sessions will be held at Lake St. George Field Centre, part of the Toronto Region Conservation Authority.
DATES, AVAILABILITY & SPONSORS
JUNIOR (first-time participants 14–15 years old):
A: July 6- 13 (sponsored by Alterna Savings & On Co-op) - available
B: July 13–20 (sponsored by Gay Lea Foods Co-operative) - available
INTERMEDIATE (for Junior graduates or 16–17 year olds participating for the first time)
A: July 20–27 (sponsored by The CUMIS Group) - FULL
B: July 27 – August 3 (sponsored by CHF Canada) - available
SENIOR (for Intermediate graduates or 17–18 year olds participating for the first time)
A: August 3–10 (sponsored by GROWMARK Inc.) - available
B: August 10–17 (sponsored by United Communities Credit Union) - FULL
*Note, there are 2 each Junior, Intermediate and Senior sessions for 2013
Each CYL week is capped in terms of the number of participants the Program can accommodate (based on facilitator/participant ratios, dormitory capacity, health and safety policies, and goals of the program).
"Two of my three children (so far) have attended the camp and it has changed their lives, and mine too. How can a week-long camp have that kind of impact? One of the things that CYL brings out in the youth is their self confidence, helping them believe in themselves, believe they can accomplish what they put their mind to, believe that speaking up for the right reasons at the right time is the right thing to do. This camp is helping my children develop into healthy, responsible, self assured adults. My advice? Send your kids to camp even if they think they don’t want to go! It’s an experience they’ll appreciate for the rest of their lives!" Barb G., Parent
"CYL was one of the greatest weeks in my life. I formed lifelong friendships and created memories that will last forever. " David J., Participant