Now in its 34th year, the annual Directors' Forum is a highly unique professional development, education and networking conference and event, that is organized specifically BY credit union Directors FOR credit union and caisses populaires Board Directors. The scope of the Forum has broadened over the years to become a conference and webinar series open to directors from across the country.
Credit unions often use the annual conference as a professional development opportunity for their board members, and to introduce director-candidates to credit union system issues. Credit union managers and staff generally do not participate in the Forum. Registered delegates may vote on issues that are presented during the Annual General Meeting. If a credit union or caisse populaire sends more than one paying director to the AGM, each participant is considered to be a delegate.
2018 Forum Information
The 34th annual Directors' Forum "Innovate, Integrate, Co-operate!" conference will take place from October 11 - 13, 2018 at the Courtyard by Marriott, Downtown Toronto.
This year, we would really like to encourage all credit unions and caisses populaires in Ontario – and other provinces should they wish to attend – to send all of their new board directors, as well as their young directors (those 40 and under). The networking and learning experience they will gain from attending the Forum, will provide a strong foundation for their role, thereby enhancing their ability to make significant contributions to your organizations. A special breakout session designed for new and young directors will become part of the programming this year, and it is our hope that it will continue to be part of the DF moving forward!
Here is a glimpse of what you can expect from this year's Forum...
- Directors’ Forum Annual General Meeting
- Co-ops and Credit Unions Collaborating for Success
- Update on Director Liabilities and Pitfalls
- Central 1 Update
- Cybersecurity – Not Just an IT Issue
- Open Forum
- Board Compensation and Dealing with Difficult Board Members – a breakout session designed for Board Chairs and Vice-Chairs
- Things you Should Know but Were Afraid to Ask – a brand new breakout session designed for both new directors and young directors under 40
- Culture…a Game Changer? – a 3.5 hour sessions (valued at $359 and included in the registration fee) with Cusource education, the professional development arm of the Canadian Credit Union Association. All participants will receive a half-day CE credit under CUDA.
- Highlights & Takeaways with Alisdair Smith
As we do each year, we carefully reviewed and considered all the feedback that we received from our previous years' delegates, through both the Open Forum session held during the Forum, as well as the electronic evaluations. Many of your suggestions will be reflected in this year’s program and schedule. These include:
- Hosting the cocktail reception on the Thursday evening and the banquet dinner and fundraiser on the Friday evening
- Moving the stage set-up back to its original format
- Holding the CUDA half-day credit session in the morning, when minds are still fresh
- Adding more participatory and breakout sessions to the program
- Adding a “co-operative” component to the programming, and being more inclusive of non-financial co-operatives, as well as their directors
- Making the presentations available for download during the conference for greater availability – we are looking into this!
- Improving the breakfast and lunch options – we will be working on this with the venue!
- Engaging both new and young directors to participate – we are working on this!
Stay tuned for more details in the coming weeks and months!
2018 CDF Banquet Dinner & Fundraiser
The Co-operative Development Foundation of Canada (CDF) will host the fifth annual dinner banquet and fundrasier on Friday, October 12 during the DF Conference! Attendees can expect a new flavour to the event this year - stay tuned for more details! Click for more information and to register.
After careful consideration, the Executive decided not to increase the registration fees for this year, in order to make the conference as accessible as possible to our delegates. We will continue to evaluate our annual expenses and inflation, and adjust our rates accordingly moving forward.
Online Registration is Now Open! To take advantage of the Early Bird rate, you must register by June 30. After this date, the rates will increase between July 1 to September 15, and another increase will be in effect for those registering between September 16 and October 5.
A complete list of rates and details, including guest rates, is available here.
IMPORTANT: PLEASE READ BELOW REGARDING CHANGES TO THE REGISTRATION PROCESS THIS YEAR...
Once again, we hope that you will join CDF for their Banquet Dinner & Fundraiser on Friday, October 12, 2018, in support of their global efforts to alleviate poverty! Tickets are $115 per person.
BANQUET TICKETS ARE NOW AVAILABLE DIRECTLY THROUGH THE CDF - CLICK TO REGISTER!
Guest speakers and some sponsors who are eligible for free registration must contact Jennifer Ross at [email protected] or by calling 1.888.745.5521 x. 22 to register.
YOUTH DIRECTORS UNDER 40 - the DF has three bursaries to give away to cover your conference registration fees (Banquet, travel and accommodations not included)! For more details and to view the application, check out the Downloads section on the right hand toolbar.
Once again, we have set aside a block of rooms for our delegates at special group rate of $189 + HST per night for a standard, single room or $229 + HST per night for a standard, double room (the same rates as 2017). It is NOT the responsibility of the DF to book accommodations for its guests, so our delegates must make their own reservations directly with the venue. Click on the Accommodations link on the right-hand toolbar for more detailed information.